Pages

Tribute to Those We Have Lost: Michael, Aaliyah, Amy and Freddie


Hurricane Irene left me without power on Michael Jackson's birthday (8/29) and I didn't get to it on the 10 year anniversary of Aaliyah's death (8/25). I hadn't decided to start blogging again when Amy Winehouse and since Google created such a lovely tribute to the late, great Freddie Mercury, I decided my tributes were long overdue. So I will keep this short and sweet.

Michael Jackson 
I remember being about 8 or 9 and being in my mom's bedroom with the cover jacket to Thriller open on her bed, listening tot he album and reading the liner notes. This song came on and I listened intently to the lyrics and it was then that I decided, I wanted to marry him.


Aaliyah
I was about 16 when I fist heard Back & Forth and immediately was a fan. Her "wrap" hairstyle was my go-to hair style throughout college and I wanted to dress and dance just like her. Are You That Somebody came out the summer of 1998 and was my sho nuff joint. Every time it came on the radio, I would crank that ish and go sailing down the beltway like that was my song and I was in the video. 


Amy Winehouse
I came across Amy Winehouse while I was single and going through some things. Her bluesy songs spoke to me and I loved her hip hop body language and straight up real lyrics. While I was not surprised when she died, I was still sad. She was a great talent was a gorgeous big voice. I found this gem on YouTube right afterwards.


Freddie Mercury
I didn't really discover Queen until recent years. It was the tune Dont' Stop me Now from Shawn of the Dead that caught my attention but I always loved We Are the Champions (heard in Revenge of the Nerds). he had a wonderful voice and I am still only learning about him. Google created this creative lil tribute using one of my fave songs:


Lady Dulayne

Music junkie, Baltimore chick, Jedi mom, karaoke queen,'80s kid, hair and makeup fanatic, currently keeping up with a daily Greek yogurt habit.

1 comment:

  1. Girl I was so upset when Aliyah passed. Maybe it was because she was my age but it was hard to hear. And I never heard that Freddie Mercury song, hmm.

    ReplyDelete